Pedestrian Curb Ramp Construction ProgramSOURCE
: Iowa Department of Transportation (IDOT)
PURPOSE OF PROGRAM
To assist cities in complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act on primary roads in Iowa cities.
: Any Iowa city
- City must engineer and administer the project.
- Improvements must involve a municipal extension of a primary road.
- Curb ramps must meet ADA requirements.
- Local match of 45% (state share is 55%).
Letters of request, which include:
- City’s name
- Location description of primary road(s) and the boundaries of the project
- The number of curb ramps to be constructed
- The estimated total construction costs of the curb ramps (this cost will be multiplied by 55% and entered into the agreement)
- A completion work schedule, with dates (the project must be let within 2 years of the agreement approval)
- The name and title of the city’s contact person
: Maximum of $250,000 per city per year.
: Letters of request accepted all year.
: Ninety days.
SPECIAL PROJECT REQUIREMENTS
: The Iowa DOT will review plans and specifications.
TYPE OF APPROVAL REQUIRED
: Iowa DOT staff approval and selection.
Contact the appropriate Iowa DOT District Engineer. See Appendix I for list of District Engineers.